Thursday, January 15, 2009

...And if you don't know, now you knowww

It was all a dream...
"You know very well who you are
Don't let em hold you down, reach for the stars
"



Am I the only one who wants to see the Biggie movie that comes out tomorrow???


At the end of this course the students (I wish I could think of a better word than students) of Act Like You Know can stop acting like they know because they will actually know some truly significant things about Hip Hop and Hip Hop Theatre.

Now they all know, if they didn't already, about The 5 Elements of Hip Hop and DJ Cool Herc.



5 Elements of hip hop:
1.BBOYING
2.EMCEEING
3.GRAFFITI
4. DJING
5. KNOWLEDGE
This course really inspires me to write more spoken word, listen to more REAL Hip Hop, and work on my freestyle game lol. I also want to perform more. I don't really go out and seek performance opportunities, but when someone asks me to perform (Kashi lol) I'm up for it. I love it, it's such a rush. I'm not gonna even lie, when the students were performing The Message I wanted to be up there rapping with them lol, but it's all good. I helped to coach them.

But really, why is blogging so damn addictive? It really helps me gather my thoughts. Crazy. Speaking of crazy, since I'm the self-proclaimed "Terrifying Tara..." Wait, I just lost my train of thought completely. Oh well, should I keep rambling on or just stop the blog right here?

Nah, I'm going to procrastinate a little bit further....


Nilaja Sun in
No Child- Time to start looking for shows to see for the class


I can't believe Week 1 of Hip Hop Theatre is done! I'm ready for Week 2 already. I need to remember to tell the class their groups for their presentations and continue working on a list of shows related to Hip Hop Theatre that the class must see. Kashi told me today that "No Child..." is playing at the Delaware Theather soon. I loved that show...it was the sickest one man show when Nilaja Sun did it at the Barrow Theatre in NYC. I saw it with my mommy and we were in AWE! This year Nilaja Sun isn't doing it, but I'm sure it will still be sick. The script is amazing.
*If you're interested in checking out this show here is the link
http://www.delawaretheatre.org/

Alright now, after all this talk about Hip Hop I'm going to go and listen to some good old HEAVY METAL...hell yeah, I like Heavy Metal and I am missing the freaky beautiful people in the Village by St. Marks place like crazy. I'm eclectic!!!

My heart is in dirty NYC.

Ahhh...my favorite store ever. Trash and Vaudeville in St. Marks Place. Jimmy Webb is standing out in front lol... He's the owner/ manager/host of the store and is there everytime me and my homegirl Nat go. He dressed her for prom (jealous) One time we stayed in there almost all day, left, and came back and he says "Oh look, the girls are back!" lol
Love that place. Met some crazy and cool people there too.
Loveee it!





Hip Hop meets Heavy Metal lol. I see so many Hip Hop artist, like Lupe Fiasco, rockin' the skulls and stuff. I've been doing it since I was twelve, not so much anymore because I'm trying to sophisticate my style- but the picture above reminds me of the good old days when I painted my nails silver and black, wore only silver and black, gloves with skulls, and studded leather belts and bracelets, with a skull around my neck (not to mention weighing 20 pounds less- ohhh to be 17 again!!!)
"You can learn how to dress just by checkin' my fresh, checkin' checkin' my fresh" - Jay- Z. Yeahhh I was pretty fly back then lol. When two worlds meet it's a beautiful thing. I remember being heavy into the Afropunk movement that James Spooner started. I was like damn, I'm not the only black person who listens to heavy metal, punk, alternative, rock, industrial, and goth and music that mixes these genres with Hip Hop.

www.afropunk.com

Xavier from Blood Sugar (Love the hair)
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=4276889&albumID=212636&imageID=10691524#a=212636&i=667757

I love Hip Hop, but what I love even more is when two worlds of music meet (like when reggae meets heavy metal with bands like Skindred)! It's a beautiful thing.

Okay, I'm done. Finally! Til next time...

1 comment:

  1. You are teaching a course?? Wow, I'm proud of you Tara. I'd take the course if I went to your school and I'd definately be one of those students who have a crush on the teacher, lol. But nah, good luck with the course Tara.

    ReplyDelete